Wheezing or difficulty breathing; irritation of the throat, eyes, or nose; nasal and sinus congestion; dry cough or hacking; skin irritations and rash. Sound familiar? Probably… each of these symptoms alone and in combination amount to a whole ton of different possible causes. They could be caused from a pet allergy, exposure to second-hand smoke, even a common cold. This can make it difficult to identify the culprit behind the illness. However, if everyone – or even just the kids or grandma – seem to be getting sick all the time, it may be time to call in your local mould expert.
Mould spores are around us all the time. When we’re inside, we’re breathing in bits of mould, and when we’re outside, we’re still breathing just as much mould. In fact, in a house without water damage, it’s likely that you have less mould exposure inside your home than out. Usually these spores don’t cause any ill effects, but in spring and fall or other extended times of wet weather, mould levels can skyrocket and cause the symptoms previously described to occur in children, elders, and even regular, healthy adults. These symptoms usually show in infants and other persons with weaker immune systems after low exposure to mould spores. Routine high-exposure, on the other hand, can lead to full blown fungal infections in just about anybody.
It can be difficult to protect your family members from something that is both invisible and everywhere. Luckily, there are signs you can look for and professionals you can call. If someone in your household seems to be sick more often than not, take a look around your home. Do some rooms have a lot of humidity? You’ll want to carefully check your kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room, and cellar for any signs of lingering humidity, condensation, and general dampness. Double check your weather stripping around your doors and windows, and while you’re at it make sure that everything is properly insulated to keep rain and moisture out. Remember to triple check your basement. We might not be experiencing the same volume of rain that we had last year, but damage from 2013 or unnoticed flooding could begin an infestation of mould.
If you notice any issues with moisture or humidity in your home or if you’ve ruled out every other cause for illness, it’s time to contact a professional. Here at Amity Environmental, we’ve helped Calgarian’s remove their mould for years. Do you need immediate and professional help with mould or mildew? Contact Amity Environmental today.