My House Has Mold, What Do I Do Now?
My house has mold, You may have discovered the mold in your house yourself, or even been told by your doctor that mold is the reason why your child is constantly sick (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mold_health_issues). Either way, mold is a huge problem when it comes to homes – not only can it make you and your family sick, it can deteriorate the home and become a very expensive undertaking to clean up and fix. Once you find mold in your home, here are 4 steps you can take.
1)Call the environmental company. Instead of trying to fix the problem yourself (which is the worst thing to do), it is necessary to call in the experts. They will know the best way to solve the problem, and have the proper equipment and “know how” to take out the mold safely, and help you figure out ways to keep it from happening in the future.
2)Stay away from the affected area. Mold can cause respiratory problems and aggravate allergies. Depending on how large the area is that is affected, and the type of mold, it may be a wise idea to live with friends, family or a hotel room for the time being. Above all do not disturb the affected area, once disturbed mold releases spores (called dissemination).
3)Move valuables and/or documents from the area. If the affected area is in/on a wall, move valuables or documents out of the way – but only if they are not also affected or come in contact with the mold colony. Depending on the request of the environmental company, you might be asked to move furniture and other items out of the room as well.
4)Warn family members. If you plan on staying in your home, warn older family members and friends and those with children to stay away for the affected area while your home still has mold in it. Those who have weaker immune systems, or have asthma and allergies, are more vulnerable to the effects of mold. Side effects of mold are like those of a common cold – coughing, watery eyes and a runny nose.
Mold is a problem that needs to be fixed, but if you follow the above steps and stay cautious, the issue will be cleared away safely and quickly. Again, ensure that you call a restoration company as handling mold yourself can be dangerous to your health.
This article was written by Jason Rorke. Visit Jason on Google+